Digital Desk, Rom. A top Italian health official said there are no plans to tighten coronavirus restrictions in any part of the country, despite rising infection rates in the country’s northern regions. Italy’s health ministry’s under-secretary, Andrea Costa, said in a television interview that the country’s health system is under control and there will be no change in the health situation, Xinhua news agency reported.
All 20 of Italy’s regions have been classified as white zones since June, the least restrictive of the country’s four-color coronavirus restrictions. Rising coronavirus infection rates in the three northern regions (Friuli Venezia Giulia, Veneto, and Le Marche) mean they could be classified in the more restrictive Yellow Zone. However, Costa said that would not happen.
Costa said that according to the data, the situation is currently under control and there will be no change, but some areas will have to be more careful. In the last 24 hours, Italy reported 10,652 new cases, which had not been recorded since May. As of Friday, the country’s total infection and death toll stood at 4,893,887 and 133,034. But in some areas the situation is even more dire. Costa noted that the percentage of all cases in intensive care units in Furly Venezia Giulia exceeded 10 percent for the first time in months.
The Council of Ministers is expected to debate next week whether to reduce the validity of the Green Pass for vaccinated residents to six months from the last vaccine and encourage eligible residents to receive a booster shot within that period . So far, 45.8 million residents in Italy have been fully vaccinated, which equates to 84.4 percent of the population over the age of 12.